The Residential Tenancy Act Changes So Far

Although the Residential Tenancies Amendment Act was passed in 2018, not all changes have come into effect yet.

So, what has changed?

Long term leases

From 3 April 2019 a standard long form lease became usable for residential tenancies in Victoria. See Tenants Victoria long term leases news page for more information.

Rooming house register

Consumer Affairs Victoria maintains public registers of registered rooming houses and rooming house operators.

From 3 April 2019 a rooming house operator can ask Consumer Affairs Victoria to restrict public access to a rooming house’s address in exceptional circumstances, such as the property being operated to delivery family violence services.

Caravan park closures

From 3 April 2019, caravan and residential park owners who are closing a park must establish a compensation scheme for eligible caravan park residents or site tenants who have been given notice to vacate for the park’s closure. For more information see Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

Rent increases

If a tenant enters into a new fixed-term or periodic tenancy agreement on or after 19 June 2019, landlords and real estate agents cannot raise the rent more than once every 12 months, instead of once every 6 months.

However, if the tenant has a fixed-term agreement that was entered into before 19 June 2019, or a periodic tenancy commencing before 19 June 2019 the time frame for rent increases remains no more than once every 6 months.

For more information on rent increases, view Tenants Victoria rent increases page.

Renting a home: a guide for tenants

Prior to 19 June 2019 Landlords were required to give tenants a printed copy of Consumer Affairs Victoria’s “Renting a Home: a guide for tenants”.

As of 19 June 2019 this publication may now be given either as a printed copy OR in electronic form, if the tenant has agreed in writing to receive notices and other documents and correspondence electronically.

Specialist disability accommodation

As of 1 July 2019 Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) comes under the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (RTA). A new part of the RTA has been created to regulate SDAs. Some of the sections in this new part mirror the sections for residential tenancies, but others differ significantly. It is advisable that anyone dealing with an SDA seek legal advice.

For more information about changes that have not come into effect yet, please visit the Tenants Victoria website.

Comments are closed.