Rooming Houses – Legislation update

From Wednesday 3 April 2019, rooming house operators can apply to the Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria to stop the public from seeing their property’s address on the Rooming houses public register.

The Director will only restrict public access to the address when there are exceptional circumstances.

This may include suppressing the address of a rooming house run by either a housing agency registered under the Housing Act 1983, or a non-government organisation funded to deliver family violence services.

Suppression in these circumstances may be approved to help protect residents threatened by interpersonal or family violence.

Rooming house operators must make their request to the Director in writing.

For information about current Rooming House registration, visit the Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

Comments are closed.