Residential Tenancy Act – Update from Consumer Affairs Victoria

Rent increases limited to once per year

Previous law

The landlord or agent must not increase the rent more than once in any six-month period.

From 19 June 2019

In fixed-term or periodic tenancy agreements entered into on or after 19 June 2019, landlords must not increase the rent more than once in any 12-month period.


  • Tenancy agreements that commenced before 19 June are not affected by this change.
  • Landlords must not increase the rent before the end of a fixed-term agreement, unless the terms of the lease allow for this.
  • In a long-term lease (more than five years) using Form 2, the amount and frequency of rent increases are agreed in advance as part of the rental agreement. For more information, view our About long-term leases page.
  • The change only applies to general tenancies under Part 2 of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997. A 12-month restriction on rent increases for residencies in rooming houses (Part 3 of the Act), caravan parks (Part 4) and site agreements (Part 4A) is expected to commence on 1 July 2020.

An updated ‘Notice of rent increase to tenant/s of rented premises’ form will be available from 19 June from our Forms and publications page.

For more information on rent increases, view our Rent increases page.

Providing renting guide electronically

Previous law

Landlords must give tenants a printed copy of Renting a home: a guide for tenants at the start of a tenancy.

From 19 June 2019

Landlords or agents can give tenants Renting a home: a guide for tenants in electronic form, if the tenant has agreed in writing to receive notices and other documents this way. Otherwise, they must provide a printed copy.

If the tenant has agreed, landlords can email them the following link to download the most up-to-date copy of the guide:

Printed copies of the guide will still be available by downloading and completing our Publications and forms order (Word, 93KB).

Download the guide from our Renting guide page

How tenants can give consent to receive the guide electronically

Landlords or agents can only provide the renting guide, notices or other documents electronically if they already have the tenant’s written consent to receive documents this way.

Tenants can give consent either:

Comments are closed.